7:00 Saturday night at the Breslin Center. Big Ten Network.
- The Jacksonville Dolphins come in at 3-2 this season; they’ve lost their last two games–vs. UAB and Georgia St.
- They finished 3rd in the Atlantic Sun Conference last season with an 11-7 record (15-14 overall).
- They have high turnover percentages on both offense (26.2%) and defense (26.6%), so this may be a bit nerve racking for us Spartans fans.
- They also have high offensive rebounding percentages on both ends (41.7% on offense; 37.8% on defense) so there may be a lot of second chances on both ends. Strong defensive rebounding by MSU could ensure this game isn’t close for very long.
- The offensive rebounder to look out for is 6’7″, 240-pound junior Marcus Allen, who put up an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.2 percent last season. Through four games, he’d improved that to 14.4% this season.
Update: More conventional preview here. The LSJ notes that the Atlantic Sun is the same conference that has brought us giant-killers Gardner Webb and Belmont, which have upset Kentucky and Cincinnati, respectively, this season. More on those upsets from Mr. Whelliston here.