- Izzo Postgame News Conference (Video): Classic Izzo; talks about how poorly the team played in a 29-point win. He notes that MSU had 12 assists on 13 FGs in the second half. I think that’s a quasi-tempo-free stat!
- Reason # 127 that college basketball is better than college football: No (or at least a lot less) Iowa Caucus-like lobbying by coaches. As of this moment, there are 2,223 comments on the linked article. But the controversy is what makes college football so great, right?
- Very-briefly-a-Spartan Brandon Cotton is done with college basketball. Pretty bizarre. Apparently, he’s still enrolled in classes at UofD, but not playing basketball–despite the fact he hopes to play in the NBA.
- SI.com’s Seth Davis asks whether refs should call fouls the same on a last-second shot as they do throughout the game. My answer: yes. Otherwise, teams taking a last second shot are reduced to taking fall-away jumpshots, knowing they’ll be hacked if they try to drive inside.
- The Bleeding Green blog on the LSJ site asks whether Raymar Morgan might consider jumping to the NBA this season. I don’t think the odds too high after this season–maybe after next. Very tough to play small forward at the NBA level. You have to be able to do it all. Morgan relies a lot on a size advantage he won’t have as much in the NBA. And he’s not much of a ball-handler yet–more turnovers that assists to date this season. (But don’t get me wrong–he’s an outstanding player, just not yet complete.)
- SI.com profile of Spartan-to-be Delvin Roe: Sounds like developing an Izzo-approved work ethic shouldn’t be an issue.