Interesting article on Jamil Wilson by scout.com’s Sam Webb in Thursday’s Detroit News. Wilson is a 6’7″ forward from Racine, Wisconsin who is likely Izzo’s #1 target for the remaining one or two slots in MSU’s 2009 recruiting class.
As previously speculated, Wilson confirms that Crean taking the IU job led Izzo to recruit Wilson more aggressively:
“Michigan State has been on and off because I know Izzo and Crean (ex-Marquette coach Tom Crean) are boys,” Wilson told to Scout.com in March. “It’s been kind of on and off with them.”
According to Wilson, part of the reason for the Spartans’ hot-then-cold pursuit strategy was his status as a crucial target for Izzo’s good friend and former protégé, Tom Crean. Now that Crean is a Big Ten adversary at Indiana, the restrictor plates have apparently been removed from the race for Wilson’s services.
“Actually, I’ve been getting a lot more attention from Michigan State ever since the Tom Crean move (to Indiana),” Wilson reported. “I think that played a big role in everything.
“(Not hearing from Michigan State for a while) is not really a big deal. Actually, it shows me what kind of person Tom Izzo is and how much respect he has for other people. In order to earn respect you have to give respect. That just shows me what kind of person he is off of the court. He actually cares for other people.”
That last paragraph is encouraging. Other bits from the article:
- Korie Lucious (a Milwaukee native) has been working Wilson for MSU.
- Izzo is up against stiff competition for Wilson. In addition to MSU, Wilson will be visiting Duke, UCLA, and Kansas–and one of Tennessee, Texas, and Purdue. Interesting that Purdue is on the radar; Painter has clearly raised their profile. The article indicates that IU, now that Crean is there, is an option. Unclear whether home-state Wisconsin is a factor.
- Getting playing time early in his career will be a big factor in his decision. This could work against us, as Morgan (as a senior) and Allen/Summers (as juniors) would be manning the wing positions in the 2009-10 season. Sounds like Wilson is more of a wing player than a post player, despite being listed as a power forward on the recruiting sites. Roe would presumably be the man at the 4 spot, as a sophomore, for 2009-10. But imagine the athleticism of a small lineup of Lucas, Allen, Morgan, Wilson, and Roe. OK, snap out of it.
- He plans to announce next March 8, the birthday of this mother, who passed away from cancer last year. Maybe Izzo fills the third scholarship slot in the early signing period and holds the fourth slot for Wilson? If Wilson goes elsewhere, he banks the scholarship for the 2010 class?
Speaking of Crean and Izzo:
- Inside the Hall reports that Indiana has amended their self-imposed sanctions to give Crean 10 days on the road to recruit.
- Mlive has video up (courtesy of WLAJ) of Izzo’s comments at the recent MSU-Lugnuts baseball game. After watching this, I’m even more convinced the Bulls speculation is simply a function of Izzo being (1) naturally forthright and (2) someone who can’t resist thinking about new possibilities. (Hat tip: Spartan Sports Page.)
This is the third post in nine days on recruiting. Am I getting caught up in the college recruiting speculation vortex?