. . . Nick, whose Mat Ishbia Day story captured the hearts of Spartans Weblog readers everywhere (after first capturing the heart of Mrs. Spartans Weblog). Nick’s “Best Day as a Spartan Story” took home 19 of the 43 votes cast by readers.
Congratulations to Nick on winning a free copy of College Basketball Prospectus 2008-09. And thanks to all of you who participated in the contest.
A few basketball links:
- Joe Rexrode has a practice update. The team is practicing a trapping press, which I don’t ever remember Izzo using for any significant period of time. Hopefully, they pick it up. I doubt it’ll be used on a regular basis, but it’d be handy for trying to pull out a comeback or two when we’re behind late in the game–something we never seem to be able to come close to doing.
- Inside the Hall picks Kalin Lucas for their preseason all-Big Ten team.
- Thad Matta thinks Ohio State will shoot fewer 3-pointers this season.
- Lute Olson’s career has come to a bizarre conclusion. One of the few guys with more Final Four appearances than Tom Izzo (4 at Arizona; 1 at Iowa) has apparently exited the college game.
- Rivalry, Esq. examines the ever-popular should-the-Big-Ten-add-a-twelfth-team question. I have a hard time seeing this happening unless Notre Dame decides it makes financial sense at some point. Plus, we couldn’t keep calling ourselves the “Big Ten” with two extra teams, could we? And the “Big 12” is already taken.