Site News of the Pull-Your-Hair-Out Variety
Some of you may have noticed the site was down for a couple hours this afternoon. The server the site is located on has been having problems all week, much to my frustration. Bear with me for now. Hopefully, things will improve soon. Otherwise, I’ll have to go shopping for a new web hosting service.
Congratulations to the MSU men’s soccer team, who added a Big Ten Tournament title to their regular season conference title by beating Indiana 1-0 Sunday afternoon. The team has received a bye through the first round of the NCAA Tournament and will host the Dayton/UIC winner in East Lansing next Tuesday (the 25th) at 1:00. Thanksgiving week soccer in Michigan! Sounds like a good reason to play hookie from work.
Rankings Update Only in a Very Technical Sense
- MSU slides up one spot to #5 in the AP poll. A small swing of 15 points moved them ahead of Pitt. Duke is the only team to move more than one spot–falling from #8 to #10 after their close call against Rhode Island.
- We hold steady at #7 in the coaches’ poll.
Monday Night Links
- Ex-MSU basketball coach Newell dies at 93
I’m embarrassed to confess I’d forgotten that Pete Newell, who passed away today, coached at MSU (from 1950-1954). A true giant of the game.
- Something Afoot in West Lafayette?
Hoopraker is back. And Mrs. SW is now a minor Big Ten blogosphere celebrity, getting a shout out for her Austin Thornton fandom.
- Everyone looks good in November!
Big Ten Geeks run down early conference action.
- Landry’s Actions Speak Volumes
Hoops Marinara on Marcus Landry’s 23-point, 3-block performance to help Wisconsin fend off Long Beach State.
- The Morning After: Your 2008-09 Indiana Hoosiers, I think
The Tom Crean era at IU starts with a win. Inside the Hall likes the effort the new guys are showing, among other things.
- Basketball Season Preview With Sports Illustrated and Rivals
Boiled Sports gets SI’s Luke Winn to share some thoughts on the Boilermakers. There’s a steak dinner on the line between Winn and Seth Davis over who wins the Big Ten title. (Davis likes us.)
- What New Three-Point Line?
TAFKATBTW with something a little more “bloggy” this year. Doesn’t see that the extra 12 inches are making much difference so far.
- My Sportsman: Stephen Curry
The peerless Joe Posnanski nominates Curry for SI’s Sportsman of the Year. No argument here.
(Hat tip to UMHoops for teaching me how to do the nifty bullet-point link formatting.)